To pronounce "confirm," stress the first syllable and say "kuhn-FERM." The word is pronounced with a short "o" sound, as in "top," and the final "m" is pronounced as a nasal consonant. The word "confirm" is a verb that means to establish the truth or accuracy of something, or to make something certain or definite. It is often used in the sense of verifying or proving the truth of something, or of making something official or formal. For example, you might say, "I will confirm the appointment with my calendar before I agree to it," or "The results of the analysis were confirmed by several other studies."
Here are a few examples of how you might use the word "confirm" in a sentence:
- "Please confirm your reservation by sending us a deposit within the next 48 hours."
- "The witness was able to confirm the suspect's alibi, and the case was dismissed."
- "I'm sorry, but I need to confirm your identity before I can give you access to this information."
- "The company has confirmed that the new product will be available for purchase in early June."
- "The weather forecast is predicting rain, but I'll confirm with a weather app before deciding whether to bring an umbrella."
In each of these examples, the word "confirm" is used to mean to verify or make something certain or definite. In the first example, the reservation is made definite by the receipt of a deposit. In the second example, the alibi is verified by the witness's testimony. In the third example, the speaker is verifying the identity of the person requesting access to information. In the fourth example, the company is making it certain that the new product will be available for purchase on a specific date. In the fifth example, the speaker is checking a weather app to confirm the accuracy of the forecast.
In addition to the examples I provided earlier, here are a few more ways that you might use the word "confirm" in a sentence:
- "The doctor confirmed that I have a mild case of the flu, and prescribed some medication to help me recover."
- "The ticket agent confirmed that my flight has been delayed by two hours."
- "I'll need to confirm my travel plans with my boss before I can book my tickets."
- "The results of the DNA test confirmed that the suspect is the father of the child."
- "Please confirm that you have received this email by responding to it as soon as possible."
In each of these examples, the word "confirm" is used to mean to establish the truth or accuracy of something. In the first example, the doctor is confirming the diagnosis of the flu. In the second example, the ticket agent is confirming that the flight has been delayed. In the third example, the speaker is checking with their boss to confirm their travel plans. In the fourth example, the DNA test results are confirming the suspect's paternity. In the fifth example, the speaker is asking the recipient to confirm that they have received the email.

